- Your computer is no longer a storage device. Your apps and files should be available regardless of the equipment you are using (virus threats, multiple computers, hardware failures, etc) so get yourself a Dropbox account (or similar internet based backup system) and keep your files centralized and backed up via the internet. If you have privacy concerns, uh, they should have covered that in your special agent training there Special Agent Oso.
- Google your name + location and see what you find. You should have an internet presence including a Google, Facebook, and LinkedIn profile. I just Googled a guy who bid on doing some remodeling work at our house and it looks like remodeling might be a side gig for him since he currently shows a full time job selling insurance on his LinkedIn profile. Not hired dude.
- Don't waste your time on the same stupid crap when you are on the internet. It's like walking into a gorgeous library with every resource available and ignoring it all to sit in the same corner and read the same magazine. Try social bookmarking sites like Digg, StumbleUpon, or Delicious. I use StumbleUpon to discover new things and Springpad to organize sites I want to visit again. I'm building an amazing compilation of recipes that will insure I never lose those last 5 pounds.
- I can be an interface snob so I use smugmug for my photos. You can share your photos on a free site like flickr so you don't have to email them all to me. Please?
- Gmail: setup a gmail account that you use for internet shopping and other account setups so the email address you love doesn't get 50 messages every night from retailers.
- Unsubscribe from mailing lists once a month. There should be a link at the bottom of every message you get that allows you to unsubscribe. I do this for my husband when he is out of town, oops honey! I don't know why you aren't getting Bike Nashbar ads anymore...
Saturday, October 29, 2011
You Suck at Using the Internet
Most people suck at using any type of technology. Even people who consider themselves trendsetters use their smartphones like glorified Facebook browsers. Take a look at this list to see if you suck at using the internet: