Wednesday, September 09, 2009

A trainwreck

I was awake at 3am this morning, just lying there, not able to sleep. Fun hormones, discomfort from being hugely pregnant, and the baby was doing the hokey pokey (he put his right foot in and his left arm out, he put his elbow on my bladder and he shook it all about). At one point, I got out of bed to eat cereal and walked into the stroller we had just placed in the hallway. My foot now sports a huge bruise from that adventure. I didn't get back to sleep again until sometime after 5am.

I had an appointment with the nurse midwife at 8am and it wasn't 10 minutes in before I'm sobbing because I tried to ask her about placental abruption. Sadly, I know someone who just lost their almost full term baby due to this condition and combine the lack of sleep with pregnancy hormones and I can't stop crying. Never met the poor midwife before, I'm sure I made an impression. I read in one of the maternity books that an abruption occurs occurs in 1 in 80 pregnancies but she indicated that they only see it about once a year.

Oh, and she asked if I had felt any contractions and I had to admit that I didn't know. She started feeling around on my belly to see where the baby was lying and she said, "Well you're having a contraction right now." I thought that sensation was the baby moving around. I'm so clueless.

Then I had to go to work. My office threw a baby shower for me yesterday and lavished gifts on us and I was feeling all warm and fuzzy toward everyone. I almost started crying when someone told me that Bill seemed like a good man and a sweet person.

I held it together until lunch when I could go swim. Our regular pool is closed so I went to the main university pool where all the co-eds are. I hope my belly is a lesson to those freshman! I haven't been in this pool for many months now and I must have forgotten who I was and the condition I'm in because I tried to just hop out of the pool. There is no hopping at 8 months pregnant. I ended up rolling myself out. Totally humiliating.

And I think I walked around all day with my fly unzipped but I don't anyone noticed. My belly is so big, there is really no other place to look.

It's time for bed now and the baby is doing the hokey pokey again. I wonder what tonight and tomorrow will bring.

2 comments:

D said...

Rolling yourself out of the pool due to pregnancy: not humiliating.
Rolling yourself out because you're too fat (and NOT due to pregnancy): yes, humiliating.

Not much longer and I'll go back to calling you a skinny bitch :) You can probably still kick my ass in the water right now. Sigh.

The Original SunnyD said...

Well, I didn't want to say anything like XYZPDQ! Kidding, you're right about the belly hogging all the attention. It is amazing! Hang in there sweets.