Tuesday, September 01, 2009

3 years of Bill and Erika

Today Bill and I are celebrating our 3 year anniversary with a trip to the spa. We're getting manicures/pedicures after work, you can guess who picked that activity. Actually, I'm doing it for Bill, his feet have been messed up from doing Ironman races for years and I don't know how to fix them. He would tell you my feet are equally messed up from running. Romantic, no?

Even though I blog pretty openly about my life with Bill, I don't think I could ever capture how close we are and how fortunate we are to have found each other. Most people never see our best moments or what it is that brings us together and keeps us happy.

I think the keys to our relationship are in humor and in a desire to want to do better. We push each other and we make each other laugh. I can't tell you the number of times we've been arguing and ended up laughing. It's a chemistry that we both cherish.

We aren't perfect, of course. We have bad moments, times when we don't do right by the other person and times when we are lazy or self centered. But those times are just a distraction from what is really a wonderful life together.

Last night, I was awake in the middle of the night, my mind racing like a secretary on Red Bull, composing email messages to friends and making lists of things to do. I couldn't sleep so finally I gave in and woke Bill up, it was probably 2:30 am. He didn't complain or grumble, but just rolled over and held me, quietly talking to me for a minute before I fell back to sleep with ease. That, in a nutshell, is how we get along. It's pretty wonderful.

Bill, I love you. I cherish every moment I have with you, even those times when you wear those blue socks out of the house. You are an amazing person, a great partner, and my best friend. I don't need anything more than I need you. Thank you, for choosing me, I am the luckiest girl in the world. Soon we will have another little person to share our lives with and I know we will find joy in the toughest and brightest moments, simply because we are together.

No comments: