Thursday, August 20, 2009

Yes, even when you don't want to

Remember the 18 strawberry plants I accidentally purchased?

Recently a co-worker commented, "You are so good! You workout even when you don't want to!" You know what, she's right. I do workout, even when I don't want to. Like in early pregnancy, I just wanted to nap on my lunch break, but most days I went to the pool instead even though swimming made me even more nauseated.

I did that not because I'm some exercise crazed addict (ok, maybe there's some truth to that) but because I don't see exercise differently than all the other things I have to do but don't want to do in my daily life. Like go to work 5 days a week. I need the pay check and benefits and actually enjoy the experience of a job well done. Exercise is no different to me. I exercise today, so I can exercise again tomorrow, so that in the future, I will have a body that can exercise and hopefully look pretty decent.

There are many days when I force myself to work out. I've learned many tricks to get myself to workout:
  • Just go to the pool and swim 1,000 yards then you can get out if you hate it
  • Just put on your running shorts and shoes and if you still don't feel like it than you can take them off and watch TV
  • Just ride the bike for 1 hour and then you can make brownies or eat a burrito
There is this misconception about people who exercise regularly, that they are super disciplined and love every minute of exercise. This is not true. It's work, it's just like work! You go to work today, so you can hopefully keep your job tomorrow, and eventually advance in your career. Most people do this, they just need to apply the same theory to exercise.

So yes, even when I don't want to, I go to work and the same goes for exercise. Most days, I enjoy exercise very much and some days I enjoy work. Sometimes, I skip exercise to work, but not that often. Priorities! I wish more people could experience life this way.

1 comment:

Ariel said...

I couldn't agree more. And I use those exact same tricks, especially the first one. I can only remember one time in the past year that I've actually gotten out of the pool before the end of the workout. Simply getting out the door is the biggest barrier to me running or riding.