Monday, August 24, 2009

Training for an Ironman while your wife is pregnant

Ironman races sell out a year in advance so it is possible to sign up for an event like Ironman Cozumel thinking it will be a great race and fun vacation for your wife and then suprise! A few months later the wife is pregnant so she gets to stay home with a 1 month old baby while the husband and new father gets to fly off to sunny Cozumel for an amazing race and fun time with friends. Meanwhile, the wife and baby are home, in Oregon, where is rains everyday for 4 months straight.

Now you might think that if that happened to me, I might be bitter and try to talk my husband out of going to the race. You would be right about one thing! Bill is planning to go to Cozumel without me, on my persuasion, to have a great time, without me. And I am bitter, but not about that exactly. I'm bitter because it sucks to be pregnant and not get to do fun stuff like ride bikes on a Saturday morning with friends, or go train with your buddies in Denver while you are there on business, or drive up to Seattle to see a kid you used to coach in soccer play in the MLS while your wife stays home and prepares for the baby shower.

It's not one thing that makes a pregnant woman depressed, it's many things that build up into one bad feeling: this sucks! Have I said that before? I think I have!

This weekend my empathetic husband cleaned the house and went shopping for baby clothes with me and then rented chick flicks for me to watch. That is what fun is for me now. Seriously, I am on the verge of putting a string bikini in my purse and heading down to Las Vegas for a weekend of partying. I guess that probably won't work for one big reason...

The highlight of my Saturday evening was actually kind of amazing, I was reclined in a chair enjoying the baby's kicking when I felt a bunch of pressure on the right side of my tummy. I looked down and saw the shape of the baby's head protruding through the place that used to be my abdominal muscles. How many people can say they've seen a baby's head pushing through their abdominals? Bill even got to put his hand on the baby's head.

Honestly, it's fine with me that Bill does this race, and trains for it while I'm bored out of my mind for 9 months, and it's even fine with me that he will be on the beach with girls in bikinis while I sit at home like a deflated balloon nursing a baby while it pours rain outside. My time will come... oh yes, my time will come.

1 comment:

D said...

Don't get mad. Get even ;)