Friday, August 07, 2009

Fires and mosquitoes

We were supposed to camp in the Crater Lake area this weekend so Bill and Sunny could ride around the lake while I sat around being pregnant at the campsite. I was actually OK with this plan because I've ridden around Crater Lake before and they have not and when I did it, I bonked and ended up sitting on the side of the road wondering what happened to me. The road around the lake is quite hilly so you ride for 15 minutes up, coast down for 2 minutes and start riding uphill again for another 15 minutes. At least that's how I remember it. I had done a race the day before so I was fatigued before I started the first downhill.

Great ride though! It doesn't matter either way because we're not going. There are forest fires in the area where we would camp and hwy 138 has been closed. Major bummer, apparently the fires are burning right up to the hwy. We stayed in this area earlier this year and it's one of my favorite places, I hope the fires aren't too bad.

We also heard that mosquitoes have infested most of our favorite camping areas. Snow melt and warm temps in the evening makes for miserable camping. Trust me, you don't want to be out when the mosquitoes are out. We went back country camping one year and ended up spending our weekend in a tiny tent fighting over Nutter Butter cookies while the mosquitoes tried to eat us alive. It was brutal. The back up plan is to camp at Mt Hood this weekend with a group of cyclists.

Oregonians are so disgusting with all their beautiful places to go hike, camp, and ride bikes. Braggarts! But we're not going there either. We have to drive to Spokane again next weekend for the last race of the season so we'll just stay home this weekend, possible drive over to the coast on Sunday. It will likely be nice and chilly on the coast so no mosquitoes or forest fires. Sold!

1 comment:

BreeWee said...

Your comment just came up, I think it is the nicest thing I have been told in a long time, it meant the world to me! Thanks so much for making my day.

I just caught up on your blog too, MAN YOU GOT A MOMMY LINE! You are going to be such a hot little momma! Nice to see you taking prego photos, they are amazing memories! Okay, happy camping and hope its free from mosquitoes!