Monday, July 27, 2009

Nessie-the-pregnant-swimmer

Swimming is still going well (enough) for me at 7 months pregnant. I swim for at least 1/2 hour three times a week with our master's swim class at noon and the water feels great. I've been putting on swim fins so I can somewhat keep up on the main sets and that worked well (enough) for me until Friday. I had a brilliant idea on Friday: focus on kicking! So I kick-kick-kick-kick-kick-kicked for a half an hour with fins on and then went on my merry way to lunch.

After lunch, I tried to stand up and my right glute seized up in a CRAMP and I seriously couldn't walk for a minute. Of course my lower back kicked in with tightness and by 3 am that night I woke up out of a dead sleep because I could feel the mother of all calf cramps coming on. You know it's going to be bad when you wake up before the cramp even takes hold.

So... lesson learned, pregnancy is not the time to focus on improving your swim kick. I will return my focus to not blowing out the tummy area of my swimsuit which is probably a loftier goal. I like a good challenge!

BTW backstroke is also nearing it's end for me. Apparently I look like Nessie-the-loch-ness-monster with my head and tummy poking out of the water when I try to do backstroke. My husband came up with the Nessie imagery for me. Isn't he helpful? I guess he's not scared of me since he still comes up with these great comments. I must try harder to be a crazy pregnant woman!

1 comment:

Maijaleena said...

I've heard swimming is great during pregnancy, but I would think it might throw balance all out of wack.

You need to enjoy this time when you have a good excuse to be as crazy as you want! Haha!