Saturday, July 04, 2009

A Near Miss with the Grand Canyon

The only shade in Hurricane, UT

After we left Zion, Bill had to visit a site for his work at Hurricane, UT. It was hotter than hell so Marshall and I drove around in the car with the AC on until Bill was done. Afterward, we picnicked at a school playground, the only place we could find shade in the whole town.

We set out for the Grand Canyon, but as the day wore on, I was getting increasingly car sick from high elevations and windy roads. My brain started weighing options: drive 40 miles in to see the Grand Canyon and then drive back out and get a hotel, or drive to Bill's parents house in Chandler AZ, and get some food and rest and see family...

Road Warrior

Bill wearing my hat and some obnoxious sunglasses I bought for cycling at a grocery store when we were in Kona. I shouldn't buy these things, they come back to haunt me.

These trees belong in Oregon, not Arizona!

This looks more like Arizona

We decided to head to the family home and see the Grand Canyon when I had more energy for it. It is only 2.5 hours from Bill's parents house and we visit there twice a year so we'll see the canyon eventually. I had regrets until we got to the house and then I knew it was the right decision. I was exhausted.

Floaters on the Colorado River

We stopped in Flaggstaff AZ for dinner and what a cool town! It's on my list for places to check out in case we need to move. There were some great looking restaurants downtown and it had an outdoorsy vibe to it that I find attractive.

Bicycle on the streets of Flagstaff, AZ

1 comment:

Jen Plods Along said...

I lived in Flagstaff for 3 years in the early '90s. Loved it there!