Monday, July 13, 2009

Natural childbirth: the new peer pressure

We slept in on Sunday until around 8am, got out of bed and had breakfast and started watching the Tour de France. I completely fell asleep again on the couch and didn't wake up until after 11am. Dang my sleep is messed up.

I am freaking out less after chatting with my mom friends on Friday but had a hard time this morning. I saw my OB-GYN for the last time today and it was hard to say goodbye to her. She's been with us through the entire process so far and I ended up in tears in front of her thinking about everything she has done for us. Hormones!

We're planning to have a midwife deliver our baby at the hospital. Corvallis has integrated nurse midwives into their hospitals so we can deliver at the hospital and but still have a midwife experience. The reason for a midwife? OBGYNs have tendancies toward C-sections, drugs, and medical procedures while midwives focus on natural childbirth techniques. I may end up with a C-section, which will be fine if it comes to that, but I want to try natural childbirth and see what happens. In my peer group, I don't know a single woman who has had an epidural. Either natural child birth or c-sections have been their results. We'll see what I can handle! It's the new peer pressure and I wouldn't care about that except I can see the logic in it.

We have 14 weeks left until the due date. Yikes! I'll take the epidural now!

4 comments:

D said...

The idea of natural childbirth makes me want to put my head in the oven. So does the idea of having a child.

Stick to your guns! Maybe keep a pot cookie next to the bed just in case. ;)

Amanda Whitmire said...

The midwife I talked with on Friday had an epidural with her second, after going drug-free with the first. Everyone has their own comfort zone, so you do what's comfortable for YOU. The most important thing, in my mind, is being able to make an informed decision. I know you're all over it!

Scienchick said...

Trust me, being a tri-geek will help you get through labor. It's just like a long race....you can be fit and ready, but in the end its all mental.

PS-I found your blog when a few months ago when I was pregnant and searching for a swimsuit that you could really swim in while pregnant. I was sad to see you lost your first and kept checking back in the hopes you'd be pregnant again. Congrats and I wish you well. Its an amazing trip!

kickass katy said...

Allie was delivered by a CNM, not because I was worried about a forced c-section or anything like that. They just had more time for personal atention than the obgyns did. At least in my case. Also, after several hours of labor I had an epidural. I'm happy I did. I was able to get some sleep until it was actually time to push. Allie cme out perfectly healthy and scored a 9 on the apgar. I don't see the point in suffering needlessly......kj