Friday, July 03, 2009

Bryce Canyon National Park

I love visiting national parks, they exist because they are national treasures and need to be protected. The thing I don't like about national parks is their policy on dogs. Dogs are not allowed on 98% (my guess) of the trails in our national parks. They can go in campgrounds and walk along the road. At some parks, like Bryce Canyon, they aren't even welcome at viewing points.

One of the great pleasures in life is hiking with a dog. A dog brings energy and enthusiasm to everything, especially hiking. I would pay good money to bring my dog on the trails in national parks. I would undergo training, sign a contract, do whatever it takes to commit to preserving the trails and areas in national parks.

For now, when we travel with the dog to a national park, we'll have to rush through the viewing points and skip most hikes unless we board the dog or leave him at home. Most of the outdoorsy people I know own a dog, people who would use the back country trails and spend days in the parks. Bummer for all of us.
As you can see, Bryce Canyon is out of this world amazing. Can't wait to go back and do some hiking in the spring or fall sometime!

2 comments:

Maggs said...

I love Bryce Canyon. Has some awesome hiking trails and amazing scenery.

Maijaleena said...

Bryce Canyon and Zion National Park are beautiful. I remember going there as a kid. It's really too bad dogs aren't allowed a lot of places as you are right--many outdoorsy people own dogs. I suppose the irresponsible dog owners have ruined for the rest of us?