Thursday, June 25, 2009

I know a little bit about a lot of things

Writing about gardening reminded me about how silly I think snobbery is. I love smart people and people who know a lot of stuff, but when you live in a college town, you are surrounded by experts who love to share their knowledge with the uneducated. Some examples:

Wine snobs: I truly enjoy a nice glass of wine but I don't have the time/money/interest in learning about the various wine regions and labels so I can be an appropriate aficionado. Should I not drink wine because I don't know about where the grapes come from? I think any wine snob that sits down to a glass of wine or two with me will agree that I should drink wine: I become incredibly smart and sexy after three big glasses of wine.

Garden experts: they know the names of every plant and grew everything from seed or a start. I think that's great! You can save a lot of money that way and you know what you are doing. Awesome! I still have to care for and maintain my yard and I don't really have an interest in gardening books or nurseries so... sorry! You can have a nice yard without knowing a whole lot. Don't get mad, have some wine.

Music enthusiasts: when it comes to actually playing music, in my experience, most people are pretty open to playing with people from a variety of skill levels. It's great just to see someone pick up an instrument and play. But people who LISTEN to music can be total snobs and identify themselves by the music they listen to. That's silly to me. It's like going to a Star Trek convention and thinking that makes you interesting. Ah, no it doesn't, unless you're 102 and got there on your own two feet without a walker.

Foodies: I get the desire for good food. Organic fruit and vegetables are amazing. But I think people that get super into food have "control" issues and use food to play that out in their daily lives. Just my arm chair psychoanalyst perspective. Life is too short not to enjoy a basket of fish and chips with vinegar and a delicious cold beer or two with it. And some cookies later on. oh baby!

That's the thing, life is short! There are so many things to experience and enjoy, I don't understand limiting yourself to having just those experiences for which you consider yourself an expert. I wish the experts and smart people would lighten up and quit being snobs. Ignorance is bliss!

2 comments:

D said...

You forgot triathletes ;)

erichollins said...

What are you talking about? Triathletes aren't snobs at all! They are some of the most friendly people around. As long as you ride a Cervelo.