Thursday, April 02, 2009

Beans, beans, the magical fruit!

I always start craving baked beans this time of year, my mom is a stellar holiday cook and would prepare an Easter dinner that I am still not over: ham, beans, potato salad, pickles, and a whole table full of other food. MMMMmmmm! I started getting the urge for baked beans last night and went to Safeway on my way home from work and found out something marvelous, Safeway had pulled pork in their deli! I love pulled pork more than beans!

I bought a pound of coleslaw ($2.50), a pound of pulled pork ($4.99), a can of vegetarian baked beans (I don't need the extra fat in pork and beans) and headed home to munch out. I made that beans fancy by putting in onions and topping with ketchup and brown sugar. The beans need a crust on top to be truly edible. Then we toasted some buns, put a bit of the coleslaw on the bun and then added the pulled pork for a fancy looking sandwich. MUNCHY SATISIFACTION ACHIEVED! And the house smelled like a BBQ. Drool.

I don't know if it was the beans or what but I was wide awake at 3am this morning. After tossing and turning my husband fessed up that he was wide awake too. So he went down to the kitchen to get us some snacks and we watched part of the Da Vinci Code until about 4:30 am. It was so great when the alarm went off at 6:30 am. You know what they say about misery? It loves company!

Tonight I will be putting price tags on clothing and ironing inventory to get ready for the triathlon this weekend. Hopefully that will make me very, very, very tired. Otherwise, we'll watch the end of the DaVinci code and turn into zombies.

No comments: