Friday, March 20, 2009

All I hear is ducks

When the hubby and I take our evening walk, it often sounds like ducks are following us but that is not what this post is about. I have a new co-worker, she just moved to our small town from the big city and I asked her transition here was going. She said her husband wasn't here yet, he was still back in the city and the last time they spoke he could barely hear her because a police helicopter was circling overhead and making a huge ruckus. She replied back to him, "All I hear now is ducks."

It's true, here in the Willamette Valley, we get a ton of migrating birds from fall through spring. The skies are full of flocks of birds. The only time we hear a helicopter is if the ROTC is doing something in our area which happens only a few times a year. It's quiet here, you either like the sound of birds, or you don't. I remember sitting in a cafe once listening to a woman complain about the damn birds outside her bedroom window. I thought she was a bitter old biscuit and I hoped the birds were the early type.

Occasionally, I question myself and wonder if I am holding myself back by staying in a small town. Surely I would have more career opportunities in the city and would be surrounded by more dynamic people. Right now, that isn't a priority to me, so here I will stay, listening to the ducks, and being grateful there isn't a police helicopter within 100 miles of me. I lived for a short time in Las Vegas and was awoken once by a police helicopter chasing someone on foot. I definitely prefer waking up to the sound of birds.

1 comment:

QRgirl (erin) said...

Oh, I hope I never become a bitter old biscuit! Your sushi sounds delish...