Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Fighting Tri Geeks

My husband was into triathlons long before I ever was, and he has far more athletic talent than I do and we both know it. You would think I would ask him for advice or have him set me up with a training plan but you would be WRONG! He is an athletic freak of nature and I am a barely functional 36 year old who's biggest athletic gift is the ability to focus on mindless tasks. Last night I was massaging my aching shins and sore knee before bed and he said, "How did you get so screwed up?"

Actually, I got into triathlons because I was an average couch potato with arthritis and the Dr. told me I could take drugs or swim to ease the pain from arthritis. I was 27 at the time I got that diagnosis and realized I could sit and be in pain or I could move and be in pain. I don't trust drugs so I started moving and I haven't stopped since. I should note that the Doctor did not say, "Take up triathlons to solve your problems" and yet that it what I did.

That doesn't mean it's easy for me, I am a needier athlete than my gifted husband so when I heard about compression gear, the latest trend in triathlon gadgets, I was intrigued. I have pain and recovery issues and people are saying compression socks help. I researched a couple of sources: NY Times, Slowtwitch, and blogs and the tipping point for me was seeing that they come in PINK. That's it, I want them!

I decided to run the purchase across my husband since we are on a no-spending diet post holidays and of course, he scoffed at me. Presently, he is having trouble with one of his calves so I asked if he wanted a pair to which he laughed, in my face, well, over the phone he laughed in my face. So I emailed him a link to the Slowtwitch forum where several people swore by their compression socks and I'm waiting to hear back from him.

What do you think the odds are that he won't laugh at me wearing these socks? Odds that he will end up with some himself? He who laughs last... I don't get that saying!?!

5 comments:

Maijaleena said...

They are so cute in pink! I would only get them if I got them in pink. Your husband should get the pink ones too :)

QRgirl (erin) said...

Did you order them? Let me know what you think if you do...

mdraeger said...

They aren't pink or cute, but I picked up some of the ones at Walgreens and have been really liking them for recovery. My calves get super tight and I've found that they've really helped. Just my two cents...

Chantel said...

I love the pink!!

Maggs said...

I love my compression socks and tights. Hope they help you too.