Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Imaginary battles

One of my favorite things about triathlon training are the epic battles I imagine myself in when I'm training. I completely lose myself in the moment and all of the stress and worry leaves my body when I fully commit myself to a training session. I love it. I should do it more often.

Today I was 20 minutes late to swimming, hey, better late than never! I hopped in during the middle of a long kick set, there were still 4 x 100 kick left and they had been at it for a while so I have no idea how long they were kicking. We did a quick 200 and then 4 x 100 with paddles. Long story short: the session was almost over and I was just getting warmed up.

Coach called 4 x 100 on 2:00, moderate pace. I took the lead of my lane and set out hard. When I swim for time, I go out arms blazing, hold on for the middle and then desperately try to pick it up at the end. I don't like drafters (don't ask me) even in swimming so when I lead, I swim down the left side of the lane so person #2 can't draft me without risking getting whopped in the head when I flip turn. Bitchy, I know, but it's my lane when I lead it and that's the way I'm leading it out.

So I'm hammering down the left side of the lane (to put this in perspective for you speed demons, I was swimming 1:30s) which means the guy in the lane next to me is getting a bird's eye view of my thrashing. He is in the other lane because he's FASTER than me but he just did a massive kick set and I'm just hitting stride. We were swimming neck and neck through 75 then bam! I drop him. Repeat 4 times.

Then coach calls 2 x 100 on 2:00 all out. Since we are getting plenty of rest, I think I can handle all out. I give it a shot and go out hard and drop Mr. Speedy Speedo within the first 25. I come in around 1:24 then repeat. He's in another zip code when I hit the wall. Victory is mine!

Then the best thing ever happens, he turns toward me and says, "Jeez, what did you eat for breakfast?"

Oh yeah!!!!!! Thank you sir, I had some kind of bran cereal. Actually, I quickly told him, "Oh no, I was late so I was going hard to make up for my tardiness."

I fully expect him to drop me for the rest of my life and never, ever, let me beat him in a swim set. Ever. But today I won the imaginary battle!

No comments: