Friday, January 18, 2008

HUUUH!!!

I forgot about DOMS. Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness or better felt as ouch! it hurts to move. I'm trying to get some fitness back for my physical and mental health and whilst I was trucking along through my first week back to regular exercise (LL Cool J singing in my head "Don't call it a comeback..." since we're too cheap for Ipods) I thought woo-ho. I feel the base fitness I spent the past 5 years developing and I'm going straight back to the way it used to be.

Look at me running on the treadmill. Look at me swimming a 500 on my first day back in the pool. Look at me, exhausted and tired. Ok, don't look at me. Even more important: don't touch me! I'm sore!

It might take a week or two to get back in shape. Duh. Oh well, it feels good to be tired and I need some distractions right now. I decided to face up to some "fears" that I have about returning to exercise. I don't like swimming 500s, even though I love swimming across a lake in the summer and I love triathlons, I prefer short sets in the pool. So I'm swimming 500s until I get over it. It's only 10 laps, I should not be afraid. The goal is to be able to do 3 x 500 without freaking out. It might take a while but I've done two swims this week with a 500 in the middle of each workout so I think I can do it.

Another fear: a return to running. I was an obsessive runner. I quit to get pregnant and keep my body fat up. Now my body fat is too up so after more than a year off, I'm running (in short bouts) again. I thought it would take a long time to get back to what I used to do (my typical 4 mile run at noon on a workday) so my first day running I did the 4 mile run I used to do. Only I walked more than half of it. That's ok, it felt great to get to the 2 mile turn around even if it took a good 15+ minutes longer than it used to I got it done. Yeah!

I ran on a treadmill last night, alternating 5 minutes of running with 3 minutes of steep uphill walking. After 30 minutes of this Bill said, "Wow, you're sweaty" which is pointing out the obvious, thank you honey.

I'm sore today and I have to go swim a 500 again here in a few minutes. How glorious! I am recalling what my life used to be like when I was an active triathlete. I just need some saddle sores from too much bike riding and everything will be complete.

I missed you old life, let's hug. It feels good to have you back. It's temporary until we get back on the fertility rollercoaster, but today, it hurts so good. I hope LL shows up for the swim...

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear...

I'm gonna knock you out (HUUUH!!!)
Mama said knock you out (HUUUH!!!)