Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Don't be dramatic

Bill and I drove to Spokane, Wa on Saturday and arrived just in time for a cold winter snow storm. I had plans with my mom to drive to the Coeur d'Alene Resort for a birthday party for her friend so we decided to go but to make it a short evening. Since it was an all-chick affair, Bill stayed back at my parent's house with the satellite t.v. As my mom and I were having dinner with friends, we could see the snow falling on beautiful lake Coeur d'Alene (pronounced core duh lane) which was lovely except that we had to drive back home.

It was great to see old friends, my mom made friends with some women about 30 years ago and the fun has lasted through the years. I hadn't seen some of the ladies in over 5 years and it was interesting to talk with them, one said, I haven't seen you since you started running. I thought that was an interesting comment, as if a line was drawn in the sand, before and after I became addicted to exercise. More on that later...

My mom and I left as soon as we politely could and set off for the slow drive home. I was driving the Jeep and my mom was encouraging me from the passenger's side. Everything was going well, we were driving between 35-40 mph on the highway when we saw an accident had occurred ahead and the police were there assisting someone who drove into the ditch. I eased up on the gas and just as we were passing the accident I hit a patch of ice and started skidding into the left lane where a semi truck was aggressively passing me. Just as I realized I was swerving into a speeding semi on a patch of ice, my instincts kicked in and I counter steered us back and forth until the Jeep stopped skidding and the truck had passed. It was a moment that could have changed my life, we could have ended up in the ditch or worse, under the semi. But we didn't. We were fine.

After I regained the ability to breath again, I had an epiphany, the worst thing isn't always going to happen to me. Before that moment, I had a cloud hanging over my head that I couldn't shake and there were times, moments of weakness really, where I wondered if I was playing on a winning team. I was starting to believe that given the circumstances I would end up overturned on the side of the road, but I didn't. I relied on myself and luck and the worst thing didn't happen. I'm going to be fine, as long as I'm breathing, I'm going to be fine.

So the drama is over. Or it was over until we tried to drive up to northern Idaho the next day. We got about 20 miles away and turned around. With the wind chill at 5 degrees and snow drifting across the highway it made no sense for us to drive any further. We weren't going to want to be outside in the weather to snow shoe or cross country ski anyway. We went back to my parents house and watched our friend on the NY Giants make his way into the Super Bowl his rookie year. Amazing! He could have ended up not getting on the team and having to return home to start a "real" career but instead he ended up in the Super Bowl. Sometimes the worst thing doesn't happen. I'm starting to get some faith back.

p.s. we went to my sister's apartment to play poker after the football game and my mom and sister took all of Bill's money again. :)