Monday, December 10, 2007

Swimming to Antarctica: Tales of a Long-Distance Swimmer

"Swimming to Antarctica: Tales of a Long-Distance Swimmer" by Lynne Cox is an inspiring account of a chubby girl who found her calling in life and didn't back down from it, even though her calling is swimming long distances in brutal conditions. I read this book over the weekend, it's a quick read with a casual tone and I guarantee you will be amazed at what this woman has accomplished. Loved this book, I hope you read it if you haven't already, it will inspire you to think differently about challenges and about people who pursue them. I can't think of many people more athletically accomplished than Lynne and will think of her often when I'm in an uncomfortable situation in nature. Read this, it is excellent!

Prior to this I read "A Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson and I apologize now to all Bryson fans but I thought it was a bit weak. He sets out to walk the Appalachian Trail and let's just say there are more descriptions of the towns than trails and he doesn't stay true to his goals. He has a great sense of humor but this wasn't what I was looking for when I picked up a book about walking the trail. I should have realized that the size (small) of the book would indicate how far along on his journey he got. Sorry Bryson fans.