Monday, December 31, 2007

Catching Up!

Sorry friends, I am just not myself right now during this first trimester. We're almost through the worst of it and I think I am starting to feel better. There hasn't been anything to post about because I'm not doing anything interesting to write about unless you consider laying on the couch with the dog and reading a book interesting. Likely not! I'm supposed to start feeling better in the next few weeks and I'm really looking forward to that time. Here are some photos from the past few weeks...

My parents drove over from Spokane with my sister for Christmas. This was a great relief to me because it meant we didn't have to travel to see family and that my mom would take over the kitchen and take care of me for a few days. There is nothing like a mother's care when you don't feel good. I felt a little bad that I had to nap so much but everyone seemed content to hang around the house watching football and goofy movies on the big TV. For Christmas I got Bill a wool jacket and a set of "professional" poker chips which meant we got to play poker until midnight (why did I do that?) My parents got him the required sweater and one of those electronic weather units, you put a small unit outside and the display inside and it tells you the temp outside and the temp inside. Neato! Of course I read the manual and set it up for him which leads me to Bill's gift to me...

Bill got me a wool coat (I know, we're matching and that is disgusting) and a heart rate monitor. I didn't help him pick out the HR monitor (I'm the tech geek in the family) and this is where he and I are hilariously different. After I read the HR monitor instruction guide I said, "Um, honey, it doesn't take splits." To which he said, "Why do you need splits?" This coming from a competitive triathlete (!?!) so I explained to my husband, who has qualified for the Hawaii Ironman twice, how you can record your HR and your interval time during your workouts. I don't think he cared about this "feature" but I think we'll take it back and wait for the new Garmin to come out. The Garmin connects to a satellite tells you your pace, time, distance, heart rate, and your splits should you care. What do I know though?

This past Saturday we finally made it out into our local forest, I felt like I hadn't left the house in months. We found some snow for our little friend to play with and it gave the dogs a fun place to romp.

Sunday we got out for a walk in the park with the dog and that was it for me. I'm still so dang tired, I spent the rest of the day reading "Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett. It's an Oprah book club selection which I typically avoid, her choices are usually overly dramatic for me, but this book intrigued me. Here is a little summary from Amazon:

"Set in 12th-century England, the narrative concerns the building of a cathedral in the fictional town of Kingsbridge. The ambitions of three men merge, conflict and collide through 40 years of social and political upheaval as internal church politics affect the progress of the cathedral and the fortunes of the protagonists."
Doesn't sound very interesting but it is, the writing is good, occasionally long winded (the book is over 900 pages) but I haven't put it down since Bill got it for me. I enjoy reading historical books and it's fun to imagine what living during this time in history must have been like.

One exciting thing from Sunday: the Patriots vs. Giants game! This past summer we went to a going away party for one of Bill's friends. He had been drafted by the Giants, he's from small town Oregon and was headed off to NY to see if he could make the team. Well he made it and the starter in his position got injured a few weeks ago and he played on Sunday and scored a touchdown for the Giants! It was a great game made all the better by watching this kid turn into a hero. It was really fun to watch and we're hoping the best for his future career. It couldn't happen to a nicer (or larger) kid.

I'll try to post more but to be frank, I don't feel like myself and I am prone to whining so it might be best for me to just kept to myself. Pregnancy does not become me, at least not yet.