Sophie left next, we were sad to see our little go-getter getting along with the business of being Sophie. My favorite Sophie moment was when Dan had her on his fit bike (for like 3 hours straight) and he was getting exasperated with her "girl type fit" and she just sat there, waiting for him to figure it out. The guy is the maestro of bike fittings and Sophie was not going to let him frazzle her. Meanwhile, we were trying to sneak out the door before Dan tested us on math equations.
I was fortunate to go on a morning dog walk with Dan and fiance Toni on Sunday morning. We walked to the neighbor's house who is a fellow dog lover and got to see that quirkiness and quick smiles are a trademark of living in the area. I felt like I stepped onto a movie set when this older gentleman brought us around the back of his house to see his Zen garden. I think this is the same guy that Monty says is a conservative Republican who lives only to fight with Dan and Monty.
I got my bags ready and Dawn loaded me into the minivan for a trip to the airport. The rest of the girls were just coming in from a morning bike ride so I got to blow kisses and try to hold back tears as I said goodbye. Over the weekend we raised our glasses, said cheers, and smiled freely. I am grateful for the opportunity to have met each of you and will think of you when life isn't as good as it was at Xantusia.
I left tri camp completely revitalized, with priorities shifted and energy directed. Here are the other things I learned at tri camp:
- LIVE IT
- triathletes are freaking cool man
- Aquaphor moisturizer can be used on the butt and lips (both sets of lips if you are a girl)
- Coke is the legal crack for long distance athletes, use freely
- not all triathletes are the same but they are all worth getting to know
- slow down, you move too fast, got to make the moment last
- JONAS IS THE MALE PRO
- Chicks look hot in pink
- I like the life I have chosen for myself, it has brought me to the good people I want to know
- Do not constantly refer to Erin's chest as her "rack"
- Do not go on rides with Monty, he rides like bull looking for a cow in heat
- Do not expect athletic women to be bitchy or geeky
- Do not let Dan Empfield corner you when he has a calculator and a white board
- Do not drink the green juice from Monty's fridge, it's not margaritas, it's lime juice
- Do not underestimate the power of a girl who wants to have fun, because she WILL HAVE IT!
In case you missed all of the photos, they are here: http://tribabe.smugmug.com/